DEPARTMENT OF QUALITY ASSURANCE AND JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL: ITS RELEVANCE AND FEATS IN EFFICIENT SCHOOL MANAGEMENT.
The Department of Quality Assurance and Junior Secondary School of the State Universal Education Board came into existence in the year 2013. It transited from School Services, Monitoring and Evaluation (SSME), Monitoring and Evaluation, (M&E) to its present status.
The department exists to consolidate on the gains of effective supervision and monitoring of schools for enhanced academic deliveries, as well as the coordination and other oversight duties regarding the operation of junior secondary schools in Ebonyi State.
The department has evolved strategies of operations to sustain its primary assignment as follows:
1. Monitoring and supervision of effective re-opening of schools on termly basis.
2. Embarking on spot-check, routine check and full management supervision of schools and teachers.
3. It undertakes the evaluation, monitoring and quality control of curriculum, instructional development and improvement.
4. It ensures the sustenance of quality assurance, supervision and conduct of unified examinations and continuous assessment in primary and junior secondary schools.
5. Collation of data and preparation of supervision reports.
6. The department equally takes charge of the conduct of investigations on matters affecting schools and academic development, etc.
The department is determined to strategically realize its mandate towards the holistic development of basic education schools and its operators in Ebonyi State through the following ways:
Achievement and standard.
Learners personal skills and their participation
Quality of teaching and learning
Quality of curriculum and other activities
Quality of care , guidance and safety
Effectiveness of leadership and management
Overall effectiveness of the school.
THE FEATS OF THE DEPARTMENT
In pursuance of its statutory role of a systematic monitoring, evaluating, regulating and reporting of educational programmes and practice, which provide for acceptable standard and attainment of quality academic delivery in schools. The department has successfully made the under listed achievements between 2015 and date:
1. Successfully conducted, monitored and supervised the Basic Education Certificate Examinations, (BECE) in the State within the period under review
2. It has ensured termly preparation of itinerary for spot-check-routine check and full management supervision and monitoring of primary and junior secondary schools in Ebonyi State.
3. The department meticulously executed the 2017 primary schools sports jamboree duly sponsored by His Excellency, Chief Engr. David Nweze Umahi for pupils.
4. The department groomed Ebonyi State Contingents that represented and won medals in Olympia Mathematics Competitions in 2017.
5. It equally masterminded and properly utilized the support and magnanimity of the State Governor to train and mentor Ebonyi children that participated in the 2016 National Presidential Debate Competition in which Ebonyi State took the first position at Ilorin, Kwara State. The victory qualified the State contingent to represent Nigeria at the International Debate Championship titled, ‘ OLDHAM CUP’ in Singapore.
6. Quality Assurance and JSS department successfully conducted sensitization programmes for school heads, supervisors, executives of PTA and education secretaries across the three senatorial zones of Ebonyi State on the theme, “School Dropout Syndrome and the Way Forward”.
The department is poised to preserve the tenets inherent in the basic education sub-sector through consistent discharge of its statutory roles of monitoring and evaluation of the academic processes. It is hoped that sustained efforts shall be channeled toward improving and sustaining a virile basic education system in Ebonyi State.
Elder Eze Cyprain Agwu